Colleen Hartland sent this email to people who wrote to her regarding decriminalisation of abortion. I have permission to reprint it here.
Dear all,
I am writing to you with an update on the debate in Parliament on the Abortion Law Reform Bill, because you sent me an email or letter in support of a woman's right to choose.
The debate started a few hours ago. Seven MPs including myself have given their main speeches on the legislation.
Six of those seven MPs (including myself) have indicated that they will support the Bill at 'second reading'.* However, the Bill is still a long way from passing. It will be a very close vote, and there are already amendments circulating that, if passed, would threaten the integrity of the Bill.
Some of the speeches have been inspiring and unexpected. Others have been careful and restrained. All have been respectful.
I have placed a copy of my own speech notes onto my website - click here. It was both a proud and humbling experience to speak on behalf of women's rights in parliament. I dedicated the speech to women who had died or were maimed by backyard abortion, and spoke about a range of issues, including the steps that need to be taken to give women more control, and decrease the number of unwanted pregnancies. I challenged the anti-choice MPs to support initiatives from contraception and sex education through to sole parents benefits.
It's been a great day for women's rights. I've really enjoyed working wtih pro-choice MPs from different political parties, including people I wouldn't agree with on many other issues!
Parliament will resume at 8.30pm tonight and I expect that we will sit until very late.
The debate on this Bill will most likely continue tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon, then again on Thursday morning. It's possible we will sit on Friday and even Saturday to complete the debate.
You can listen to parliament via a live broadcast - click here and choose "Legislative Council" (ie the "red" chamber!). You can also attend and listen (quietly) in the public gallery, which is always open when parliament is sitting, no matter how late.
I won't be able to answer any queries while Parliament is sitting, but please contact my office on 9689 6373 if you have any urgent enquiries.
Colleen Hartland MLC
Western Metropolitan Region
E: colleen.hartland@parliament.vic.gov.au
P: 9689 6373
W: www.electedgreensvictoria.org.au
I’m now on Facebook – click here.
* That is, they support the Bill in principle, and will vote for it to proceed to the "committee" stage, when individual clauses and any proposed amendments will be debated in greater detail, and voted on separately.
Tuesday, 7 October 2008
Email from Colleen Hartland MLC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Having grown up during South Australia's abortion debate in the mid 80s I can't believe I'm surprised by the tactics the (Far) Right to Lifers are adopting. All I can say is the Tell the Truth Coalition need to look up Hypocrisy in the big book of words.
Post a Comment