Another email from Colleen Hartland MLC. I'd love to blog but I can't do much except bite my nails and watch.
Dear all,
The Abortion Law Reform Bill debate adjourned at 10pm last night, and started again this afternoon, after debate finished on a Liberal party motion on another topic.
We have now heard from 16 MPs, of which ten have indicated they will vote in favour of the Bill at "Second Reading" - that is, they support the Bill in principle, and will let it progress to the next debate stage, which is called the "committee" stage.
Today's debate has been fascinating. I recommend anyone following the debate via Hansard to read the extraordinary speech by Shaun Leane (ALP) when it is published overnight. It joins speeches by Andrea Coote (Libs) and Jenny Mikakos (ALP) yesterday, which I thought were outstanding.
There are still about a dozen MPs on the speaking list tonight. Yesterday they spoke for an average 30 minutes each (I only spoke for about ten minutes), so don't expect a result any time soon. As I write this, Bernie Finn (Libs) has been speaking for about an hour, and for the first time I have left the chamber.
I was surprised and delighted to receive brief messages from so many of you yesteday evening, including people who listened to my speech on the live broadcast, or read it on the website. My staff forwarded me some of the messages in Parliament, and they gave me a strong feeling of being part of a supportive, caring community during an exhausting sitting week.
These updates are going to about 500 people who asked me to vote for a woman's right to choose. I was already pro-choice, but you have given me the courage to stand up and speak with your strength and support. This included my very difficult decision to go public about having had an abortion. I am sure that brief, warm supportive emails to other pro-choice MPs would also be appreciated.
You may have heard that pro-choice MPs are receiving abusive emails after speaking. I have been inundated with those emails, each one nastier than the last. If the anti-choice brigade ever needed to convince us that they are abusive, misogynist bullies who want to impose their choices on others, they have achieved that aim, with bells on! Mind you, yesterday one email spat "the BRAZEN nerve of you", and I'm taking that as a compliment.
I expect we will sit later tonight than last night, because of the delay in starting the debate. I will send a message with the results of the "second reading" vote, if we get there.
Colleen Hartland MLC
Western Metropolitan Region
E: colleen.hartland@parliament.vic.gov.au
P: 9689 6373
W: www.electedgreensvictoria.org.au
I’m now on Facebook – click here.
Wednesday, 8 October 2008
Update from Colleen Hartland MLC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment