It seems that despite a few amendment hurdles women will now be able to exercise some control over when they use their precious power to make people without the threat of criminal prosecution. Am I happy? You betcha.
However, the MPs who voted for decriminalisation are probably still receiving hate mail as I write this.
Please help redress the balance and thank them. It's just one word, in one email (if you cut and past the long address I have provided below).
Here are the MLCs who voted for the bill:
Greg Barber, Greens
Candy Broad, Labor
Andrea Coote, Liberal
Kaye Darveniza, Labor
David Davis, Liberal
Philip Davis, Liberal
Khalil Eideh, Labor
Peter Hall, Nationals
Colleen Hartland, Greens
Gavin Jennings, Labor
David Koch, Liberal
Shaun Leane, Labor
Wendy Lovell, Liberal
Justin Madden, Labor
Jenny Mikakos, Labor
Martin Pakula, Labor
Sue Pennicuik, Greens
Jaala Pulford, Labor
Johan Scheffer, Labor
Brian Tee, Labor
Evan Thornley, Labor
Gayle Tierney, Labor
Matthew Viney, Labor
...and here is something you can cut and paste into the "To:" field of your mail program, it works for apple mail, and I imagine it will work for most mail programs:
greg.barber@parliament.vic.gov.au, candy.broad@parliament.vic.gov.au,andrea.coote@parliament.vic.gov.au, kaye.darveniza@parliament.vic.gov.au, david.davis@parliament.vic.gov.au, philip.davis@parliament.vic.gov.au, khalil.eideh@parliament.vic.gov.au, peter.hall@parliament.vic.gov.au, colleen.hartland@parliament.vic.gov.au, gavin.jennings@parliament.vic.gov.au, david.koch@parliament.vic.gov.au, shaun.leane@parliament.vic.gov.au, wendy.lovell@parliament.vic.gov.au, justin.madden@parliament.vic.gov.au, jenny.mikakos@parliament.vic.gov.au, martin.pakula@parliament.vic.gov.au, sue.pennicuik@parliament.vic.gov.au, jaala.pulford@parliament.vic.gov.au, johan.scheffer@parliament.vic.gov.au, brian.tee@parliament.vic.gov.au, evan.thornley@parliament.vic.gov.au, evan.thornley@parliament.vic.gov.au, matthew.viney@parliament.vic.gov.au
Finally, here is my letter:
Dear Members of the Legislative Council,
I wish to convey my heartfelt thanks for your support of the decriminalisation of abortion. Especially those who voted for it despite having personal reservations, you are true representatives of the people.
Thank you for trusting me, and women like me with this decision.
Thank you for contribution to removing the legislation that would, in the wrong hands, be used to compromise our autonomy and bodily integrity.
A very warm thank you to all of you.
Kind regards,
Saturday, 11 October 2008
Abortion Reform Bill passed. How to thank your MLCs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Good for you. I'm off to send some emails.
Thanks rebekka :-) the more the better. Unfortunately at least one anti-choice nutter has hijacked my list. Oh well. Hopefully the net result will be positive.
At first I thought this was some idiotic post about how anti-abortionist are actually giving women more rights. Then I realized you're not from the US, where every so-called "Abortion Reform Bill" is just another attack on women's rights.
Not being from your country I'm not inclined to send emails to the people you list, so I'm just going to say Good On Them (TM).
Hi Em,
It's been a while since I commented, but well done. I received an email about this from Pro-Choice Vic and immediately sent an email to all the MP's! Then sent a personalised email to my local MP. They deserve it - can only imagine what sort of rubbish they have been receiving from the Pro-Lifers.
Nat
Thanks Nat, nice you know you're still out there! And thanks for sending letters. The MLCs have, indeed, been getting lots of rubbish.
Cheers
Emma
Post a Comment