Sunday, 31 August 2008

Orgasmic Birth - The Best Kept Secret

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know I'm passionate about womens' autonomy throughout pregnancy. There are many ways I demonstrate my passion for good births in my private life and helping my friend launch the Victorian screening of Orgasmic Birth is one of them.

Birth Attendants.info presents:

Orgasmic Birth - The Best Kept Secret
by filmmaker Debra Pascali-Bonaro

A documentary that examines the intimate nature of birth and the powerful role it plays in womens’ lives when they are able to experience it fully.

A film to touch your heart and challenge your preconceptions of childbirth, this film is a must see for mothers-to-be and professionals who support birthing women. It encourages us to view the process of labour and birth as an event that can be ecstatic, a life highlight rather than a trauma to be endured.

In Orgasmic Birth, beautiful images of labouring women ripple through the professional commentary, revealing a phenomenon that is rare in public media today — a normal labour. Safely supported by sympathetic medical professionals, doulas and family, we see women giving birth who experience a monumentous life event that is both empowering and enlightening. Orgasmic Birth is a call to women everywhere: “Women of earth, take back your birth.”

Orgasmic Birth is an educational documentary and is exempt from classification. As it contains images of birthing women, we recommend viewing by Adults Only.

Screening at The Palace Como, located at the corner of Toorak Road and Chapel Street, South Yarra (2 hours free parking in Centre).

Premiere screening on Friday 3rd October at 6:30pm ($28, includes light refreshements and features guest speakers Dr Sarah J Buckley & Rhea Dempsey)

Second screening Monday 6th October at 6:30pm ($22, light refreshments only)

Bookings Essential
Contact: http://www.birthattendants.info/orgasmic_birth.html

3 comments:

Brussels said...

'ello! I came here via your comments at the cast iron balcony.

Just wondered about the advice here that because the movie 'contains images of birthing women, we recommend viewing by Adults Only'. That just struck me as a bit odd. Is the sight of birthing women too traumatic for children? Teenagers?

I don't think I've seen women giving birth, so I could well be missing something, and I hope I don't sound like I'm being accusative or anything, it's a genuine question. My little brother was born when I was 8, and I was always baffled about why I wasn't allowed to watch. Still don't *really* know the answer.

Cheers :)

Emervents said...

Excellent question, thanks for asking it. :-)

What you see there is a primo example of "arse-covering". I would have preferred to say "viewer discretion advised" but since it would be rated at least M if it were rated officially, we had to be cautious.

It's a shame that you missed out on your little brother being born. I had my nine year old son present at his sister's birth and neither of us would change that arrangement for the world. Though he was whisked away for some dinner by my entourage when it looked like stage two (the "please cut it out of me I can't do this any more" stage that I go though) was looming. They figured that seeing me in actual distress would not be a good idea which I think is fair enough.

The thing with having older kids at the birth is, you have to be comfortable with the idea. You have to be comfortable with them seeing you fairly exposed and you have to be comfortable with them viewing the fairly gory side of creating a life. I prepared my son with lots of birth videos so the amount of amniotic fluid and blood, not to mention the placenta afterwards, wouldn't be a shock. Also, it was made very clear that in the instance that something did go wrong he would have to clear out quick smart. I also had a friend there whose sole responsibility was his care. It took a lot of organising and preparation :-)

I'm sure your parents chose what they thought was best for you at the time. And if you would like to see some beautiful births I can highly recommend the film!

Brussels said...

thank you! :)