Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Internet Nutters make way for the Hedonist Nuts.

I really am working on my thesis! I was trying to verify the precise physiological reaction to pain under local anaesthetic when I came across this.

Apparently they want to free the world of physical and emotional pain through biotechnology. Wow. I have recommended that they read Paul Brand's The Gift of Pain. It includes some horrific descriptions of the kinds of pathologies that can ensue from a lack of pain sensation in humans. Here's one example before I get back to work...

We take it for granted, but the ability to sense that we are uncomfortable and shift our stance or posture prevents prolonged stress on our joints and reduces inflammation. Congenital analgesics (people born with an inability to sense pain) do not shift their weight, change posture or even roll over in their sleep and as a result they undergo repeat orthopedic operations to correct deformities in their knees, hips, and spine. Ick. And that's just what a lack of pain sensation will do to your bones. There's more, like being blissfully unaware that you are chewing off parts of your tongue or suffering severe burns because you didn't know your leg was up against a radiator. In general there is simply cutting, bruising or burning yourself without realising then adding insult to injury by using the affected body part as though it was not injured, leading to infection and delayed healing.

The lesson? Bodies without pain warning systems tend to end up twisted and deformed messes. I'll take my functioning alarm system over their twisted and deformed painless utopia any day.

Back to work Emma!

*grumble* *sigh* 10 days to go.

2 comments:

Andrew Louis said...

I suppose one could say that, if it were not for pain we'd have no idea just how great we feel. Or perhaps we wouldn't know how we feel at all? Don't we know this because of that

Emervents said...

Welcome, Andrew.

That is my view precisely. Our feelings, both physical and emotional, occur on a spectrum of difference. If it were not for the differences we would feel nothing.

The idea of a world without pain looks great on the surface, but I think the reality would be quite sinister - a zombie world.

Cheers
Emma