Wow. Lots of conservative "pay your own way" types posting here!
I know one of those. The type to bark at every opportunity that she paid her own way, why shouldn't everyone else? She's getting to thirty and still lives (rent free) with her Mummy and Daddy. She takes their input into her lifestyle completely for granted, and assumes that everyone's had it just as "tough" as her, she just "works harder". I'm sure people here will recognize the type. Most, but not all, are single or DINKs.
Those who are touting the "pay for your children yourselves!" line, or the "don't be fooled! stay home and look after your little darlings!" line, reek of an anachronistic conservatism that would have mothers invisible and undervalued while their men went off to work and rule the world. Are you missing your androcentric dark ages darlings?
Time to wake up. The world is different, men want more to do with their children, women want more of a life outside the home, society will have to adjust and one way to adjust is to provide parental leave. I know it's one step up from maternity leave, but hey, I'm hopeful.
I'm sorry you people don't like the idea of paying for a little bit of paid respite for women who give birth. Especially since 14 weeks is barely enough recovery time for the shock of a first baby - and yes, it's more of a rude shock than a holiday, darlings.
14 weeks is very little to ask, given that:
My children will cost me $450,000 (out of pocket) all up and I'm a conservative spender. My children and many others will be paying taxes to care for those of my generation who have remained childless for whatever reason. They will also be caring for them in aged care since childless people are rarely nursed at home by a relative... and I'm not finished... the children born now will be providing infrastructure (shelter), manufacturing products (food, the odd catheter), transport (delivery of said catheter), medical services (insertion of said catheter), cleaning (for before you get the catheter), and governance (organizing access to medical care in the first place)... just to name a few of the odds and ends that make up the elderly support network.
I will have paid tax AND spent $450,000 (not to mention the back breaking work of "merely" parenting and the dedication and time that entails), to provide three of the people who will support you in your old age. Not that supporting you whiners is why I had them, it's just a happy side effect that you are going to enjoy at my expense.
You people live your comparatively carefree single or DINKs lives and begrudge paying for a few weeks off after giving birth? Get real, get in the now, and grow up a bit. We all benefit from contributing to the welfare of children.
Emma
PS to those two who mentioned speedboats? I'd like to see a speedboat wipe your bottom for you when you can no longer do it yourself.
Thursday, 1 May 2008
Contribution to paid maternity leave discussion at The Age.
Labels:
News,
Political Family
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment