Friday, 18 September 2009

Commenting on SMH re Abortion Decriminalisation.

... or rather, having fun with the anti-choicers again. What can I say? It's a hobby.

This is my latest post just in case the SMH don't let it through (it would be comment 31). It does have a tiny ad hominem element... teeny weeny...

Wow, only 16 comments before the Nazi's were mentioned by an anti-choice advocate. It's not a record but it's impressive nonetheless. I'd respond in full, Adam, but I think a) you have me confused with Amy and b) your comparisons re democracy and majority rule are invalid anyways. This is because your examples refer to harm to conscious, sentient beings and also to the status of scientific knowledge. It is unlikely that we would find common ground as I do not believe that life begins at fertilisation (see daniel's response above for some of the excellent reasons why) due to research in the areas of embryology and fertility a lot of which I have read - we have come a long way since the majority believed the earth was flat. Your references to an objective morality betray a religious viewpoint. You might remember that it was the Church who forced Galileo to recant before finally subscribing to the heliocentric hypothesis. It is my hope I will live to see the demise of all Churches still clinging to the belief that a conceptus is a life form worthy of rights that trump those of a fully grown human. These people (most of them blokes) are gravely mistaken, and women the world over still suffer for this error.

No comments: